January is National Blood Donation Month – donate your blood this month. We’ve put together a list of locations to donate blood in Austin and the surrounding areas.
LIST OF LOCATIONS TO DONATE BLOOD IN AUSTIN
- SOUTH AUSTIN We Are Blood 3100 W. Slaughter Lane Austin, TX 78748
- NORTH LAMAR We Are Blood 4300 N Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78756
- ROUND ROCK We Are Blood 2132 N. Mays, Suite 900 Round Rock, TX 78664
REASONS TO DONATE BLOOD:
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.
- Someone needs a blood transfusion every two seconds.
- For example, hospitals need more than 110,000 units of blood, platelets and plasma each year.
- Donated blood expires in 42 days.
- Donated platelets expire in 5 days.
- In your lifetime you will likely need a transfusion of blood, platelets or plasma.
- One pint of blood can help save up to 3 lives.
- Four million Americans would die each year without life-saving transfusions.
- Trauma-related injuries use 45 units of blood.
- Approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day in the U.S.
- Nearly 7,000 units of platelets and 10,000 units of plasma are needed daily in the U.S.
- Nearly 21 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S.
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 units.
- The blood type most often requested by hospitals is type O.
- Sickle cell disease affects 90,000 to 100,000 people in the U.S. About 1,000 babies are born with the disease each year. Sickle cell patients can require blood transfusions throughout their lives.
- Many cancer patients need blood donations during their chemotherapy treatment.
BLOOD PLASMA DONATION SERVICES:
- AIRPORT BPL Plasma 5789 Airport Blvd, Austin, TX 78752
- NORTH EAST BioLife Plasma Services 14415 Owen-Tech Blvd, Austin, TX 78728
ABOUT FIVE STAR ER
Five Star ER is a freestanding Emergency Room that provides excellent 24 hour care. We are located in South Austin, Pflugerville and Dripping Springs.
This blog content from Five Star ER is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Moreover, never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking treatment because of something you have viewed or read on the internet.
If you think you may have a medical emergency, call 911, or go to your nearest emergency room immediately. Reliance on any information provided by Five Star ER, its staff, or any others appearing in the videos is solely at your own risk.