Ice Skating is a time honored tradition during the winter months. Before you go, read our safety tips. We’ve also included a list of local ice skating rinks in Austin, Texas. Check it out below. Happy skating!
General Safety Tips
- Be aware of the blades on the skates, especially while putting your ice skates on and off.
- Before you step on the ice, look for the direction everyone else is moving (clockwise or counter-clockwise.)
- Remember that everyone has different skill levels. Be aware of your surroundings, and be respectful of other skater.
- If you’ve never been ice skating before, or it’s been a long time since you’ve been on the ice, take a lesson or two to get comfortable with the basics. (More on this below.)
What to Wear
- Dress for the conditions. If you’re going to an outdoor rink, check the weather and wear the appropriate clothing items.
- Even if you’re skating indoors, you should consider wearing a hat and gloves. Remember that the ice on the rinks is very cold.
- Dress in layers.
- Lace your ice skates appropriately – skates should be snug to help you keep your balance, but not too tight.
- Beginner skaters of all ages should wear a helmet.
Be Sure your Skates Fit Well
- Always make sure the ice skates fit you properly.
- Ask for another size or different skates if you feel uncomfortable.
- Your feet and ankles must be supported correctly to prevent twisted ankles or blisters.
Take an Ice Skating Lesson
- During lessons, you will learn how to fall correctly to avoid injury.
- For example, you’ll learn to fall backwards instead of forwards because this lowers the chance of injuring your head or wrists.
- Get comfortable with the basics before trying more complicated moves such as jumping, spinning, or skating backward.
List of Public Ice Skating Rinks in Austin
- Chaparral Ice – North Austin at W. Anderson Lane & Mopac
- Whole Foods – Ice Skating at the Plaza
- Circuit of the Americas – Winter Wonderland
- The Pond Hockey Club – North Austin
- Eisbahn – Outdoor Skating in Fredericksburg
When emergencies happen, you want the best care and FAST. Five Star ER is open 24/7 to take care of you.
Five Star ER is a freestanding Emergency Room that provides excellent 24 hour care. We are located in South Austin, Pflugerville, and Dripping Springs.