From wearing costumes to walking around outside at night, there are many potential hazards on Halloween. On average, children are twice as likely to be struck by a vehicle on Halloween than any other day of the year. And while 75% of parents say they choose a costume with safety in mind, only a fraction of kids take precautionary measures like walking with flashlights.
Halloween can be scary, but you don’t have to be scared for all the wrong reasons. When you are trick-or-treating, these 10 tips can keep everyone safe and ensure a fun night:
- Make sure children under the age of 12 always trick-or-treat with an adult.
- Always walk, not run, from house to house.
- Use crosswalks, traffic signals and stay on sidewalks or paths. If there is no sidewalk, you should walk facing traffic, as far left as possible.
- Choose costumes that have light colored fabrics, are marked as flame resistant, and fit well to prevent painful trips and falls.
- Glow sticks can be a fun way to increase kids’ visibility to drivers as well as increase their vision.
- Only 18% of parents use reflective tape on their child’s costumes, but the use of reflective tape can make you and your kids more visible to drivers.
- Don’t carry swords, canes, or other sharp objects that could injure a child if they fall.
- Always test face make-up on a small area of skin before wearing to make sure there are no adverse reactions such as irritation or an allergic reaction. Always choose make-up that is non-toxic.
- Only eat treats that are factory-wrapped, and always check for evidence of tampering before consumption.
- Talk to your kids about safety every year and before Halloween night. The excitement of Halloween may distract kids, so parents should have regular conversations about safety in the weeks leading to Halloween.
Even with the best preparation and planning, emergencies happen. And when they do, you can count on Five Star ER. Our experienced medical team can treat adults and kids of all ages, providing the care you’d expect from a traditional emergency room with none of the wait. With locations throughout the greater Austin area, no matter where you are celebrating Halloween there is a Five Star ER near you. Click here to find your nearest location.
– – – – – – – – – –
About Five Star ER
Five Star ER is locally owned and operated by the physicians of Emergency Service Partners, a respected provider of emergency physician services to hospitals and health systems across Texas for nearly 30 years. Our experienced physicians bring their excellent tradition of emergency care to a first-class, patient-centered freestanding ER.
Our patient-centered care means you will come first. Our freestanding ER provides the capabilities of a hospital emergency department, without the hassles and long waits that can be part of a hospital ER. From the comfortable lounge area and private exam rooms to our top-notch medical team and latest technology, patients can be door-to-doctor in less than 15 minutes.
This content was created to be purely educational in nature. This post is not meant to be used as a substitute for medical treatment or personal consultation regarding a medical condition. As always, if you or a loved one is suffering a life-threatening medical emergency or injury, call 911.