The last thing you want to do during the holidays is to have an emergency. However, many people end up in the emergency room for reasons related to holiday decorating. Check out our best tips to avoid a trip to the ER this holiday season.
Tips to Avoid Falls
Did you know that one of the most common reasons people end up in the ER during the holidays is from falling off ladders while decorating? Falling off ladders can cause lacerations, sprains, or more serious injuries like broken bones.
- Make sure all ladders are on level ground and sturdy enough to hold your weight, plus the weight of any decorations you are carrying.
- Make sure your ladder is at least three feet taller than where you will be hanging items, so you do not have to climb to the top of the ladder or over-extend yourself.
- The ladder should also be at least three feet higher than your roof line.
- Always have someone spot you and help hold the ladder steady to increase stability and safety.
Tips to Avoid Fires
- Do not place any trees (real or artificial) near fireplaces, radiators or other heat sources; this is a major fire hazard.
- Even if a tree is labeled as “flame retardant” or “flame resistant,” it can still catch on fire.
- Water real trees often to help reduce the risk of trees drying out and catching fire.
Tips to Avoid Electric Shock
- Check all of your holidays lights for any damage, like frayed wires, cracked sockets, or loose connections.
- Throw away any damaged lights because this can start an electrical fire – they shouldn’t be used.
- While replacing any bulbs in your lights, always unplug the lights first to reduce the risk of electrocution.
When emergencies happen, you want the best care and FAST, especially over the holidays. Five Star ER is open 24/7 to take care of you.
– – – – – – – – – –
Five Star ER is a freestanding Emergency Room that provides excellent 24 hour care. We are located in South Austin, Pflugerville and Dripping Springs.